Avandia (Rosiglitazone Maleate)
AVANDIA (ROSIGLITAZONE MALEATE)
Avandia (Rosiglitazone Maleate) is a prescription medicine. The medications play a pivotal role in the treatment of type 2 diabetes in which sugar level in the blood increases. It is an oral drug. The sale of generic drug Rosiglitazone Maleate is under the brand name Avandia. It is prescribed by the doctor, along with diet and exercise.
How It Works
Insulin is a natural substance produced in the body. It helps to control the blood sugar levels by signalling the cells to take in glucose. The use of glucose is to create energy. Generation of insulin is not enough in type 2 diabetes. Also, the insulin which is made is not able to signal the cells to take in glucose. Because of this blood sugar levels increases. The medication is classification od medicine called Thiazolidinediones. They help to improve the response of the cells towards insulin. This is how excess sugar is taken in by the cells, and blood sugar level is maintained in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Not recommended for children under 18 years.
- Adult Dosage:
- An initial dose of 4 mg either once or two divided doses two times a day.
- Increase in dose to 8 mg daily for those responding inadequately after 8 to 12 weeks.
- Patients with increased dose moreover should be monitored for fluid retention.
- The maximum dose recommended is 8 mg daily.
- Dosage for patients with renal impairment:
- A normal dose for patients with renal impairment, only when used as single therapy.
- Dosage for patients with Liver problems:
Common Side Effects
- Serious Side Effects:
- Allergic reaction
- Liver Damage: Symptoms are, for instance:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Upper abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Yellow eyes
- Heart failure: Symptoms are,
- Chest pain
- Pain in the left arm
- Hypoglycemia: Symptoms are, for instance:
- Blurred Vision
- Fast pounding heartbeat
- Change in vision
- Common Side Effects:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Weight Gain
These, however, are some side effects of Avandia. If you notice any symptoms, get immediate medical help.
How to Take This Medication
- Take it as and when prescribed by the doctor, likewise.
- Follow the instructions and directions carefully.
- Take it with or without food, above all.
- If you miss a dose, don’t take 2 doses at once.
- If you overdose, however, call for immediate medical help.
- Take this drug along with diet and exercise.
Warnings and Precautions
- Important Warning:
- Heart failure: Avandia may cause or worsen heart failure in some patients.
- Other Warning and Precautions:
- Don’t take it if you have/are, for instance:
- Allergic Reaction
- Heart problems
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Inform your doctor if you have/are, for instance:
- Heart failure or problems
- Eye problems because of diabetes
- Liver problems
- Bariatric surgery
- Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
- Taking other medication
- Risk of unintended pregnancy moreover due to ovulation in older women.
- It is however not recommended for children under 18 years.