ADVAIR INHALER (SALMETEROL XINAFOATE/ FLUTICASONE PROPIONATE)
Advair Inhaler (SalmeterolXinafoate/Fluticasone Propionate) is a prescription based oral inhaler. It is used to treat Asthma. Advair Inhaler is a brand under which a combination of two drugs, i.e. SalmeterolXinafoate and Fluticasone Propionate, is sold. It is also marketed internationally as SeretideEvohaler and Seretide Inhaler.
How It Works
Advair Inhaler contains two active ingredients, namely, SalmeterolXinafoate and Fluticasone Propionate. SalmeterolXinafoate belongs to a class of drugs called bronchodilators. It helps to relax the muscles around airways so that patients can breathe easily. Whereas, Fluticasone Propionate belongs to a class of medications called steroids. It helps to control the substance, which causes inflammation in the body. When combined together, they help to prevent breathing problems like wheezing, coughing and flare-ups.
- Not recommended for children under 12 years.
- The dose for Adults and Children beyond 12 years:
- Take 2 puffs twice a day.
- Strength of the drug may be 45/21, 115/21, or 230/21 depending upon severity.
- Maximum dosage strength is 230 mcg Fluticasone Propionate and 31 mcg SalmeterolXinafoate twice a day.
- Inhalation should be 12 hours apart.
Common Side Effects
- Serious Side effects:
- Allergic Reaction
- Infection: Symptoms are, for instance:
- Sore throat
- Ear pain
- Pain while urinating
- High Blood Sugar: Symptoms are, for instance:
- More thirst
- More hunger
- Fast heartbeat
- Low Potassium levels
- Weak Adrenal gland: Symptoms are,
- Passing out
- Muscle weakness
- Weight loss
- Low blood pressure: Symptoms are, for instance:
- Change in eyesight
- Chest pain
- Fast Heartbeat
- Feeling nervous
- Eye Pain and irritation
- Bone Pain
- Trouble Sleeping
- Feeling Weak or Tired
- Vaginal Itching and Discharge
- Weight Gain
- Mouth Sores
- Fungal infection in the throat
- Severe breathing problem
- Common Side Effects:
- Upset stomach
- Throat irritation
These are some side effects of Advair Inhaler. If you notice any symptoms, get immediate medical help.
How to Take This Medication
- Use this inhaler as and when prescribed by the doctor.
- Follow the instructions and directions carefully.
- Shake well before use.
- Prepare the inhaler and get it primed before using (Spray 4 times in the air).
- If you don’t use it for more than 4 weeks, get it primed again (spray 2 times again)
- It is a breathe-in inhaler.
- Please keep it away from fire.
- Rinse your mouth after using.
- Clean the inhaler, too.
- Keep a count of the doses left in the inhaler.
- If you miss a dose, don’t take two doses together, above all.
- However, if you overdose, get immediate medical help.
Warnings and Precautions
- Don’t take Advair Inhaler (SalmeterolXinafoate/Fluticasone Propionate) if you have/are, for instance:
- Allergic Reaction
- Inform your doctor if you have/are, for instance:
- Breathing problems
- Liver or kidney problems
- Going to have a surgery
- Chickenpox or Measles
- Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
- Taking other medications, above all.
- Not recommended for children below 12 years.
- It is advisable to stay away from persons having Chickenpox and Measles, likewise.
- Moreover, it is not a rescue medicine.