Side Effects of Saxenda and How to Manage Them
Patients buy Saxenda online to help them with excess body weight and weight management.
Saxenda liraglutide injection is an FDA-approved injectable prescription medicine that is suited for obese patients or overweight individuals with at least one weight-related disease including type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, or dyslipidemia.
What Is Saxenda?
Saxenda is the brand name for a liraglutide injection approved by the FDA for weight management and manufactured by Novo Nordisk.
A liraglutide injection is also used under the brand name Victoza to control blood sugar levels in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Researches discovered that patients taking this form of blood sugar control were losing weight. Further study and clinical trials revealed that, when used in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity, it was proven to support weight loss.
Studies and clinical trials found that patients using Saxenda liraglutide injection experienced at least 5-10% weight loss compared with those taking a placebo. Additionally, unlike other weight loss medications, it offers the unique side effect of improving blood sugar levels.
The Saxenda pen is currently the only form of liraglutide approved for weight loss purposes. With a prescription, you may buy Saxenda online.
Should you be interested in further information or wondering if this medication is right for you, be sure to speak with your health care professional.
Currently, the Saxenda pen is recommended for adults with a body mass index (BMI) greater or equal to 30, those who have additional weight-related medical problems, and children from ages 12-17 that weigh over 132 pounds.
How Does Saxenda Work?
The Saxenda pen works by slowing the emptying of the stomach. Unlike other weight-loss drugs, it also targets a part of the brain that suppresses hunger.
To be effective, Saxenda liraglutide can be injected into the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm.
What Are the Side Effects of Saxenda?
In studies and clinical trials, 9.8% of patients treated with Saxenda liraglutide stopped treatment due to adverse reactions. If you’re taking Saxenda, and experience any of the following side effects, be sure to contact your healthcare professionals.
The most common side effects of Novo Nordisk Saxenda liraglutide include headache, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, low blood sugar, decreased appetite, upset stomach, tiredness, and dizziness.
Though rare, some people experience injection site reactions. The symptoms of injection site reactions include swelling and muscle weakness.
There are also some possible serious side effects that include the following:
- Thyroid Cancer. Some studies and clinical trials conducted on rats and mice found increased levels of thyroid C-cell tumors. Be sure and tell your healthcare provider should you experience any of the symptoms of thyroid tumors, including difficulty swallowing, a swelling or lump in your neck, or shortness of breath. While evident in rats and mice, it is unknown if Saxenda liraglutide will cause thyroid tumors, including medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), in people who use Novo Nordisk Saxenda. In other words, human relevance is still unclear.
- Pancreatitis. Inflammation of the pancreas can lead to symptoms such as severe pain in the upper abdominal area and pain that radiates from the stomach area to the back.
- Gallbladder Disease. Gallstones and other gallbladder diseases may lead to pain in the upper abdomen, fever, jaundice, dark urine or light-colored stools, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, and chills. Be sure to report these symptoms to your healthcare provider.
- Hypoglycemia. Saxenda liraglutide can cause low blood sugar. A few of the symptoms of low blood sugar include sweating, dizziness, trembling, blurred vision, and rapid heartbeat.
- Kidney Problems. Some reports of kidney failure were reported, particularly in patients that had experienced nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Hypersensitivity Reactions. Hypersensitivity reactions include swelling and itching of the skin, sneezing, difficulty breathing, and low blood pressure. If a hypersensitivity reaction occurs, immediate medical attention is required from your health care provider.
Whenever you buy Saxenda online, make sure it is from a reputable internet pharmacy that provides the same high-quality medications as your brick-and-mortar pharmacy.
How Can You Manage the Side Effects of Saxenda?
Nausea is one of the most common side effects for those taking Novo Nordisk Saxenda liraglutide injection. Fortunately, this side effect of liraglutide has been shown to diminish over time.
If you do experience nausea, vomiting, or other gastrointestinal symptoms, be sure to speak with your health care professional and follow these helpful tips:
- Spend some time outdoors in the fresh air.
- Eat bland foods and those that contain water. Examples of these types of foods include broths, bananas, applesauce, crackers, potatoes, and noodles. Ginger tea and natural sparkling water are also good choices for beverages.
If you experience symptoms associated with low blood sugar, drink four ounces of your favorite fruit juice, eat some fresh or dried fruit or hard candy.
Who Should Not Take Saxenda?
There are several diseases and health concerns that contradict the use of Saxenda. These include the following:
- Allergic to liraglutide. An allergic response may include swelling of the lips, tongue, or throat.
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC). A personal or those with a family history of this type of thyroid cancer.
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN2). A very rare genetic cancer characterized by medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC). Patients with a personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma or multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 should not use Seneca liraglutide.
Patients with the following diseases or health conditions should talk with their health care provider about these conditions before taking Saxenda liraglutide.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis. A buildup of acids in the blood when the blood sugar has been too high for a long period of time.
- People with liver or kidney disease, or problems with the gallbladder or pancreas.
- Adults with heart problems.
- People with high triglycerides.
Additionally, because the Saxenda pen slows the emptying of the stomach, it may affect the effectiveness of drugs that must pass through the digestive tract quickly.
Be sure to speak with your healthcare provider about drug interactions if you are taking any other medications, particularly medicines for diabetes, including insulin and sulfonylurea medicines.
As with any medication, patients should consult their health care providers about any concerns before taking it. Your health care professional will weigh the benefits against the risks.
Saxenda liraglutide has been proven effective in decreasing body weight and weight management. In a study conducted on 3,371 patients, 85% of people taking Novo Nordisk Saxenda liraglutide lost some weight and three out of five patients achieved a significant weight loss of 5% or more.
Patients that also follow a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical exercise experience even greater results.
Choose the Right Online Pharmacy for your Saxenda Needs
PharmaServe is a well-trusted and professional provider of prescription medicines at a reduced cost. If you have any questions, you may want to take a look at potential savings when you buy Saxenda online.
To learn more about Saxenda, contact us at PharmaServe today.